Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Using our Herbs!

Wonder


Why are we growing an herb garden in the first place, much less cooking with the herbs we grow? What’s the point? How does cooking with our herbs answer the essential questions of the LULS project?


Growing an herb garden shows that we are taking responsibility and time to care for our herbs. In the end, our gift for that is making an awesome meal with our herbs! If we learn how to be responsible, we won't be so lazy to go out and recycle, save water and other resources. Plus we are eating healthier and organic. We can eat our food without worrying about eating food with pesticides! With all of this said, this answers the essential questions "Why aren't people living sustainably? And how can we convince them to do so?" People don't have the motivation to live sustainability, such as growing their own herbs mostly because they haven't been convinced as to why they should. They don't know that growing food is a benefit

.

Process


The plants my group and I grew were cayenne peppers and lemon basil. We regularly watered them until they seemed ready pick. My friend Livy and I wanted to make carne asada tacos so we knew we wanted to work together. Then we added our friend Gabe who wanted to make salsa. All of our recipes needed cilantro, so we knew that was going to be our main herb. The salsa also needed cayenne peppers, but the ones we harvested weren’t ready to be picked yet so we bought some grounded cayenne peppers instead. Unfortunately when we took the cilantro home on Thursday it died after a couple of days since we didn't cook until Monday. So we also had to buy that from the store.


Ingredients for the Guacamole:
















Ingredients for the Carne Asada Tacos:

















Ingredients for the Salsa:


















Here is the "Taylor Gabe and Livy's Cooking Show!"







All in all, this was an amazing project. We all had doubts in our food, since we've never made anything like this before. And in my case, I've never cooked/made anything before without someone helping me 80% of the time. But we were wrong. Everything was delicious! The salsa was our biggest doubt, but it was actually the best one. We still have some salsa left over and have been eating every day since Gabe made it. As for the guacamole, it wasn't as good as the salsa because it was a little sour. As for the carne asada tacos, they were awesome! The carne asada which was marinated in lime, onions and red peppers was amazing. The only problem was the corn tortillas were very thin and bland. But other than that, it was so much fun and tasty. The funniest part was when I started peeling a lemon. I was paying to much attention trying to sound professional in front of the camera that I didn't realize that I was peeling a lemon. I didn't realize I was doing something wrong until I cut off a piece of peeled lemon.

Special thanks to my mom for the carne asada, and the guacamole recipe that she made herself.
For the tacos, I would like to thank Rubios. Rubios sells carne asada street tacos that I adore. I couldn't find their recipe online, but you can easily notice what’s in it if you look at one from Rubios.
And here is the recipe we used for the Salsa: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001776simple_salsa.php

7 comments:

Brandy said...

Yum.. those carne asada tacos sound really good, I want to try that one day. I like the way you were very descriptive on what you were doing. Also the way you didn't have just your video, but your's, Livy's, and Gabe's.

Claire Anne said...

your "wonder" portion was really detailed and your pics and videos were really cool! good job!

annalisa'sblog said...

I love how you used a video for your blog! It kept me interested. Good job!

chiquilla15 said...

the way you use the video for the blog was amasing i love at and the 3 of you gas was osome you look like a real chef

Joe Kester said...

mmmmm good job showing the whole process, not just you working on the recipie. The whole thing sounded just delicious, as you described each part of it. Very nicely done, video and pictures with ingredients!

Adrian Trevizo said...

your blog was very detailed and your pics were amazing om nnom

Gage said...

The videos were really good.